Make your own free website on

This page contains the log that I took to Philmont with me.If you have any questions about Philmont or trek 22 E-MAIL ME Thanks.


Philmont Day by Day Log

All of this text was taken strait from my log that I took to Philmont. I wrote in it each night before I went to sleep.

Arrived at base camp. Went through registration and logistics. Met our ranger Cade Keenan. Had rib sandwich for lunch and a hamburger for supper. Went to church then opening campfire. Did shakedowns on free time and looked in the trading post. Went to bed at 11:00.

Woke up at 5 am. Packed up tent. Went to breakfast. Had biscuit and gravy. Swept tent. Took 8:00 bus to Cimarroncito Turnaround. Did some ranger training. Hiked about a mile to Cathedral Rock Campsite. Set camp and did more training. took side hike to Cathedral Rock and Window Rock. Excellent! Came back. Cooked beef stroganoff. Put up bear bags, had talks and went to bed at 9:30.

Got up at 5:00, left camp at 6:45. Ate some PopTarts. Went to Ute Gulch Commisary. Picked up 3 days of food. Saw a jet get refueled in mid-air. Ate lunch. Arrived at Sawmill Camp about 4:00. Sat on porch and talked. Did 30-0-6 rifle shooting. Had a potato soup-like dinner. Cleaned, bear-bagged, and went to sleep at 9:45.

Got up early at Sawmill to watch sunrise. Ate oatmeal and hot chocolate. Got on trail about 8:45. Had an incline most of the time. Did side-hike to Cyphers Mine. Was really fun. Went into mine and found our way out with no lights. Went back to thunder ridge and then hiked to Commanche Peak Camp. Did about 11 miles.

Woke up at 5:30 and ate a dry breakfast. Hiked over Commanche Peak and Mt. Phillips. Took many pictures. Haven't seen a cloud in the sky for two days strait. Tough hike down Mt. Phillips. Went to Clear Creek and did trading company talk, tomahawk throwing and black powder shooting. Left and hiked super fast to Porcupine. Set up camp taking special bear precautions. Saw lots of evidence of bears around the camp-tracks, dung, and broken sumps. Went to bed at 9:00. Had turkey noodle soup for dinner.

Woke up at 5:30. Broke camp. No bears apparently came. Had a dry breakfast. Got a sugar high of off gatorade. Left camp and arrived at Phillips Junction. Left and went to Beaubien. Set camp. Saw Mr. Douglass and went to brand things. I cooked the chuckwagon dinner with Todd. Went to campfire and went to bed at 9:30.

Woke up at 6:45. Ate breakfast. Did conservation project. We moved rocks into big holes and busted up the rocks. Took showers, did laundry and hung out at camp.(Beaubien) Went down to the porch and did lassoeing and played with the cats. Came back, wrote home, went to a church service, and ate dinner. Went to camp fire and went to bed at 9:30.

Left Beaubien and headed for Phillips Junction. Got for days worth of food. Dumped a lot of it and filled up a whole swap box. Left Phillips Junction and headed for Fish Camp. Got to Fish camp and got lodge tour, then ate lunch. Learned and went fly fishing. Then tied flies. Hiked to Agua Fria and ate spagetti. Then fished some more. I didn't catch anything. We meadowed it and slept under the stars with not tents.

Woke up from meadowing at 6:00. Ate breakfast, broke camp, and went fishing. Still didn't catch anything. Returned rods and headed for Abreu. Got to Abreu aroun 2:30. Set camp and went to Cantina for root beer and chips. Took showers, washed clothes, and cooked mexican dinner. Dinner was great. We had tacos and fried bread. Did burro racing. We lost but it was fun. Hung out at Cantina with Mexican friends and went to bed at 9:45.

Woke up at 5:30. Left Abreu for Crater Lake at about 9:00. Saw base camp a few times. Ate lunch at Bear Caves Camp. Got to Crater Lake and got an itinery change to camp at Miners Park. Did spar pole climing and left for Miners Park. Got a lite drizzle. Arrived at Miners Park at 4:30. Pretty cool camp. Set camp and ate lasaugna for supper. Went to bed at 9:00.

Woke up at 5:30. Went and took a shower. After breakfast we rocked climbed at Betty's Bra. It was fun. Then we hiked to Shafers Peak, and then to the Tooth. Climbed up to the top of the Tooth. Very hard and rocky climb. Great view on top. Got to Tooth Camp, set up ate dinner and went to bed at 9:00. We slept under the stars again.

Woke up at 5:30, ate breakfast and left camp at 6:15. Hiked into Base Camp. It took an hour and a half. Got into base at 7:30. Checked back in and went to Tent City. Went to awards camp fire that night and got our Arrowheads. After campfire we hung out with Minnesota friend until 1:30a.m. Went to bed.